Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: April 2009

I hope to have a new release by the end of this week, early next week at the latest.  I’m getting close to the rewrite of the back-end, after which I intend to add a few new features.  The next release will be version 0.3 and will feature a new default theme.  I’ll keep you posted right here!

Advertisements

I’ve started re-doing the main UI for Buzzbird… the iChat knock-off look that Buzzbird currently uses is pretty lame.  Here’s how it looks so far:  http://twitpic.com/3c0t4

I had planned on adding some underpinnings for theme support when I re-did the theme, but just getting this far has taken a lot longer than I had hoped.  Getting the @#$&! rounded corners to work along with the avatar and tweet text took me a while.  And the new theme still doesn’t color differently based on reply/direct/etc.

Right now, my priorities are as follows:

  • Finish up with the new theme, get tweets to render in different colors based on tweet/reply/direct/etc.
  • If there’s time, put some underpinnings for theme support in.
  • Split up main.js into two files, one for back-end API stuff, which is embedded in the main XUL object, and one for the browser which is concerned only w/ rendering.  This will make way for support of multiple accounts and tabs

To summarize, Buzzbird isn’t dead yet.  I’ve gotten past sulking about the bad comments I saw in search.twitter.com.  I’m encouraged by the fact that someone forked it on github to add indenti.ca support.  I’ve gotten some positive feedback.  So I hope to have a new release put together within the next week or so.

I decided tonight, based on some feedback that I’ve received, that I probably released Buzzbird a bit before it was ready.  I thought that the “alpha” label on it was enough to let people know that it’s still a work-in-progress, but after careful consideration I’ve concluded that I should probably get it a lot closer to “feature complete” before releasing it to the public.

Releasing software is a funny thing, I guess.  The only other open source project that I had been involved with before this one was the Avant Window Navigator, for Linux.  In that case, there were lots of developers encouraging each other to make baby steps toward a great user experience.  In this case, I’m just one guy.  Making matters worse, because I started out with the same name as a Mac app, I’ve unwittingly attracted a lot of Mac users.  Unlike Linux users, Mac users are a lot more demanding of their apps to have achieved their Mac UI Zen (bear in mind, I say this as a Mac user myself).  Even though my app is very young, it’s getting a lot of bad press because those users are disappointed, once they’ve downlaoded it, that it’s far from complete.

So I’m pulling down the download link for a while, so I can polish it a bit more before trying again.  Hopefully I’ll have better luck the next time around.